This morning as I took my kids to school, I was feeling rushed, my stress levels high, my mind was in a million different places. Sitting at a traffic light I suddenly realized, while my mind is elsewhere, I’m missing some prime moments with my kids. And not really enjoying my day.
I decided to change the moment, and in doing so changed my day! We began chatting about the fun we’d had this weekend and started making plans for our next family trip.
Instead of thinking about all the things I had to do today, I brought myself into the moment to be present with them. It was truly lovely.
This little incident not only brought warmth and joy into my heart … it brought a realization into my mind: I can either have a stressed, difficult day … or I can have an amazing, fabulous day.
I chose fabulous.
The rest of the day, I did things to ensure that my day was the best ever. Try a few:
1. Be present. Instead of having your mind elsewhere, bring yourself back to now, in this moment, focused on where you are and what you’re doing and who you’re with.
2. Do less. What is most important towards pursuing my goals and dreams? You don’t need to do everything on your To Do list. Do less (but focus on the important — not urgent — stuff) and you’ll be less stressed out.
3. Get one important thing done. Do less but do more important things. Things that will have a huge impact on your life over the long run. You’ll feel a sense of accomplishment. That makes any day a great day.
4. Design the life of your dreams. What would your life be like if you had no limits? What would make you happy? Action step: pick the 4-5 most important things in your life, and start dreaming. Design the life of your dreams and then plan the first few steps you need to take to get there. It feels amazing to start taking action on making your life the way you want it to be.
5. Declutter. Even if it’s just a little space. Decluttering an area of your life can have a wonderful effect on your mood and happiness level.
6. Go for a walk. Get moving, enjoy the natural beauty around you. A walk outside anywhere fills me with warmth and joy. It will have a great effect on your day. Clear your head.
7. Vital Signs. Choose only your three most important projects, and focus on them exclusively to completion, to the exclusion of all other projects. Do that today. You’ll be amazed at how much you’ll accomplish and the terrific effect you will experience on your productivity and your life.
8. Listen to great music. Take time to enjoy something that makes you smile - music, chocolate, art…
9. Watch a sunrise or sunset. Take a few moments every day to express gratitude for all the blessings in your life. This one act will change your day and your life!
10. Spend time with a loved one. When I spent even just a few minutes with my kids this morning, it filled me with a joy unequaled anywhere else in life. There’s someone in your life that you value … make time out of your day today to spend time with them … actually be with them, talk with them, bond with them.
Shelly Aristizabal is the author of This Is Your Year to Design & Live the Life of Your Dreams, a leader in the Community Commerce Industry, Motivational Speaker and New President of Business Women Connect. Visit www.businesswomenconnect.com for details on our upcoming events in the Indianapolis area!